November 15, 2011

I Love Jack Reacher

He is a character . . . in a series of novels (16 so far) by Lee Child.  I really love books with interesting characters, and the fact that Child continues to write great stories using him is a real bonus.  Jack is a man who travels (no car or driver's license) with just a toothbrush in his pocket.  He is an ex-army MP, butt-kicker, escape artist, cool-headed, quiet, a loner and drifter who defends the underdog and has a "moral code that outweighs his sense of duty to the law."   What's not to love?

Child's most recent novel, The Affair, is actually a flashback to Reacher's Army career and tells the story behind why he is now ex-Army.  If you have never read any of the series, you can start anywhere.  Each book stands on its own.

I've been thinking that these books would make some great movies and see that One Shot is coming out in February of 2013 as a movie.  Tom Cruise is starring.  Not my pick for the character (6'5" and 200+ lbs--I don't think so), but they didn't ask me.

The next Reacher thriller--A Wanted Man-- is due out in September or October 2012.  I'm putting it at the top of my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment